Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Is Snoring Dangerous?

Once somebody has recognized a sleeping problem and been given a sleep apnea diagnosis by a doctor, there are many ways of solving the problem. With people at a high risk for such consequences as brain damage or even death a serious treatment such as a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Machine is often the answer.

The health care providers who know about the solutions to this problem are faced with a bigger problem, the lack of awareness. I would go so far as to suggest that you make an audio recording of yourself while you sleep at night. I would advise against video, your kids might find it and put it on YouTube.

It sounds a bit alarmist to suggest that snoring causes car accidents, but it is actually a pretty accurate statement. Lack of quality sleep is a big problem these days. I am not a snorer, as far as I know, but I used to work night shifts that messed up my sleep pattern. I have fallen asleep at the wheel on at least two occasions. One resulted in the minor injury of a tree.

I know someone who has undergone a dramatic weight loss and had her snoring problem disappear. Poor sleep can also contribute to depression. CPAP machines are used to treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker